Water Use in Vacuum Pump Systems (2012)
Download the Report
Project Scope and Method
The California Urban Water Conservation Council has identified the replacement of liquid ring vacuum pumps with dry vacuum systems as a Potential Best Management Practice (PBMP). This investigation was undertaken to assess the potential viability of dry vacuum pump systems as a Best Management Practice (BMP) for urban water purveyors in California.
The assessment included:
- A literature review to ascertain the latest technology in the market, its costs, benefits, and water
- Interviews with representatives of relevant industry associations, and other regulatory bodies with
jurisdiction with respect to this technology
- Interviews with key staff of water agencies that have or have had programs involving dry vacuum pump systems
- Evaluation of potential water savings and cost-effectiveness of different types of dry vacuum systems
- Development of recommendations on the advisability of upgrading from a PBMP to a BMP.
View all PBMPs